Frequently Asked Questions
What if I am unable to install the agent due to permissions issues?
We have an "application" version of the Agent for people who have limited permissions on their computers and are not able to do full installations. The TappIn Agent Application is designed to run as a foreground application, much the same as Microsoft Word or Safari.
What if I turn my computer off at night or put it on sleep mode?
Currently, TappIn requires a computer to be on and running in order for you to have access to it, just like other PC access services on the market today. If your computer is asleep or turned off, you will not be able to access your content via TappIn. TappIn displays the status of all your computers when you log in via the Web. In a TappIn Mobile App, if you do not see your blue globe shares that is usually indicative that your computer is not turned on and awake.
What if I have content on many computers in the home?
No problem. Adding more computers to TappIn is easy. First, however, make sure you understand the basics of TappIn. You install TappIn on any home computer and from there you can add folders which can then be safely accessed from your mobile device or via the Web.
How do I add additional computers?
- Log on to the computer you want to add. Launch a Web browser, go to www.tappin.com, and then sign in. Click this link: http://tappin.com/sign-up and choose Download Now.
What do I do if I have content in other places?
If you already have TappIn installed on a home computer, but you have your content in other places on your drive(s), this content can be easily accessed with TappIn by simply adding the content locations as TappIn folders.
How do I add additional folders?
- From anywhere, sign into your account on www.tappin.com. Click the Sharing/Settings link next to the chosen home computer and then click the Make Another Folder Available link. From there, browse and add the folder you want to make accessible and give it a good name and you are finished! You can now access that folder via your mobile device, any browser or even WebDAV.
Can I share my TappIn folders with family and friends?
Absolutely! With TappIn personal sharing you can share your digital content such as photos and video with your family and friends very easily.
How do I share TappIn folders?
- From anywhere, sign into your account on www.tappin.com
- Click the Sharing/Settings link next to the chosen home computer, then for the folder(s) you want to share click the Share This Folder link.
- From there, enter the email addresses of the people you want to share the folder with, click Send and you are finished!
Invitations will be sent to your family and friends and they will be able access and enjoy the content you have shared with them!
Where is the TappIn for iPhone/iPod/iPad Guide?
Click to view the Quick Start Guide for the TappIn for iPhone/iPod/iPad app.
Where can I get the TappIn app for my iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad?
You can download TappIn for iPhone and iPad apps at the App Store. It will look similar to the following.
Where is the TappIn for Android Guide?
Click to view the Quick Start Guide for the TappIn Android app.
Where can I get the TappIn app for my Android phone?
TappIn for Android is available at the Android Market for phones running Android 2.1 and above — access the Android Market from your device and search for "TappIn." Alternately, you can scan the provided bar code if you have a bar code scanner application installed on your Android device.
Where is the TappIn for Windows Phone 7 Guide?
Click to view the Quick Start Guide for the TappIn for Windows Phone 7 app.
Where can I get the TappIn application for my Windows Phone 7?
TappIn for Windows Phone 7 is available in the Windows Phone Marketplace.
Which Web browsers does TappIn work with?
TappIn works with any modern browser, including Internet Explorer, Safari, Firefox and Google Chrome—this means you can have anytime, anywhere access to all your files, music, photos, videos or any other personal documents, regardless of the browser you're using.
Can I use Web folders (also known as WebDAV) to mount or map home storage?
Sure. If you are a tech savvy TappIn user, then you can also access your home content using an HTTP web standard called WebDAV, which is short for Web-based Distributed Authoring and Versioning. It is a set of extensions to the HTTP protocol that allows users to collaboratively edit and manage files on remote web servers.
- For a quick summary of accessing TappIn using WebDAV, click here.
- For detailed instructions on using WebDAV, click here.
- For detailed instructions on using OneDisk™ with the TappIn Service, click here.
- For detailed instructions on using AirSharing™ Pro with the TappIn service, click here.
How secure is TappIn?
TappIn is the most secure home access and sharing solution ever built. We have leveraged years of corporate network security experience to bring TappIn to everyone. Using the best security practices and technology, we can proudly say your content safety is the most important aspect of the TappIn solutions. For more information on security, click here.